The castle of Ham-sur-Heure rises high above the Eau d'Heure. The castle exists from two long wings which have been mutually linked by a trapezoïdal entrance hall part. No report is made of a citadel by 1245 and concerning the primitive form of it nothing is known. In 1667 the castle is destroyed in important degree. Lodewijk XIV had ordered the destruction of the donjon. The French marshal Humières let the demolition works of the torens complete in 1689. For this reason the castle is rebuilt thoroughly at the beginning of the 18de centuries by mandate of earl Joachim-Maximilien the Merode. Now the castle is the office of the municipal authorities and a museum concerning rural and old-fashioned life.
Each day to visit
Rue d'Oultre-Heure 20
Castles of Henegouwen: Kastelen van Henegouwen
url : http://www.ham-sur-heure-nalinnes.be
Medieval county, now a province in southwestern Belgium.
The area was once part of the county of Hainaut, which was larger than the modern province, and was bounded by Flanders on the north. United with Flanders several times from the 11th to the 13th century, it was later ruled by the house of Avesnes, the Wittelsbachs, the Burgundians, and finally the Habsburgs. Gradually annexed to France in the 17th and 18th centuries, part of the county stayed with France (now the Nord départment), and the rest passed to The Netherlands in 1814 and to Belgium in 1831. It is a well-farmed region with varied agriculture; animals, including Belgian draft horses, are raised. There are more than 100 castles in Hainaut.
© 2005 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.